Involved In An Accident?
Did You Have an Auto Accident?
Important Steps to Take Immediately:
1. STOP: Florida law requires you to stop at the scene of an accident.
2. PROTECT THE SCENE: Leave cars where they came to rest unless they are blocking traffic and take note of the vehicles’ locations before moving them.
3. CALL THE POLICE: Cooperate with the investigation officer and speak only to the officer concerning the facts.
4. GET MEDICAL ATTENTION: Cooperate with emergency medical personnel and go to the hospital in an ambulance.
5. EXCHANGE INFORMATION with the other driver including names addresses, VIN #s, and insurance.
6. DO NOT COMMENT or make statements to the other driver concerning the cause of the collision.
7. OBTAIN INFORMATION: Make notes of any statements made by the other driver concerning the cause of the collision.
8. TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS of the vehicles: Always keep a disposable camera in your glove compartment.
9. OBSERVE whether the driver appears to be intoxicated, if so, report it to the police officer and insist that the other driver be given a breath test.
10.SEE A DOCTOR. Serious injuries do not always show immediate symptoms. It would be wise to have a doctor examine you as soon as possible.
11. DO NOT EVER give a recorded statement to the other driver’s insurance company.
12. DO NOT sign any release from the other driver’s insurance company without first seeking the advice of an attorney.
13. DO NOT allow anyone to rush you into a settlement. You may be entitled to significantly more. By consulting a lawyer you will safeguard your own legal rights.
14. REPORT the accident to your own insurance company.
15. If your were injured, SEEK MEDICAL TREATMENT IMMEDIATELY. Tell your treating physician all of your physical symptoms and complaints and follow the doctor’s instructions.
16. GATHER all the documents related to the accident in one place or file. These may be used as evidence.
17. Contact a qualified personal injury attorney and ask for a free consultation to discuss your rights.
18. Ask the attorney lots of questions about his or her background, training, experience and qualifications.
19. Ask the attorney about fees and costs.
20. Ask the attorney to explain your legal rights and to explain the attorney’s role in protecting your rights.
21. Get well and Protect your Legal Rights!